Fine Cuts: Interviews on the Practice of European Film Editing
In the expanded second edition of Fine Cuts, Roger Crittenden reveals the experiences of the greatest European film editors through his warm and perceptive interviews. This new edition builds on the foundations laid out in 2005, including interviews with the editors of films such as Day for Night, The Sacrifice, The Kid with a Bike, and Fanny and Alexander; new interviews with editors of such films as Tyrannosaur and The Other Side of Hope; and editors from a wider range of countries, including Austria, Belgium, Finland, Portugal, and Russia. The book now embraces all aspects of post-production, with insights into sound editing from Larry Sider, originator of the renowned School of Sound, and music composition from Oscar winner Dario Marianelli (Atonement).
Editors relate their experiences with directors including:
- Claire Atherton [Chantal Akerman]
- Mick Audsley [Terry Gilliam, Stephen Frears]
- Yann Dedet [François Truffaut, Claire Denis, Maurice Pialat]
- Marie-Hélène Dozo [Dardenne Brothers]
- François Gédigier [Patrice Chéreau, Lars von Trier]
- Samu Heikkilä [Aki Kaurismäki]
- Sylvia Ingemarsdotter [Ingmar Bergman]
- Tony Lawson [Nicolas Roeg, Stanley Kubrick, Neil Jordan]
- Michal Leszczylowski [Andrei Tarkovsky, Lukas Moodysson]
- Roberto Perpignani [Orson Welles, Bernardo Bertolucci, Tavianni Brothers]
- Mary Stephen [Éric Rohmer]
Each interview also includes a list of cited and notable films for further study. An online eResource contains additional interviews with editors Sabine Mamou, Agnès Guillemot, and Nino Baragli.