Take 'em to the beach.
June 19, 2007
If you're looking for a paperback to peruse on the beach, BusinessWeek suggests: The Poker Face of Wall Street by Aaron Brown (due out late July) -- how gambling fits in with finance. The Disposable American: Layoffs and Their Consequences by Louis Uchitelle -- the ugly side of layoffs. Mr.
- The Poker Face of Wall Street by Aaron Brown (due out late July) -- how gambling fits in with finance.
- The Disposable American: Layoffs and Their Consequences by Louis Uchitelle -- the ugly side of layoffs.
- Mr. Gladwell's Blink
- Spoiling For A Fight: The Rise of Eliot Spitzer by Brooke A. Masters -- learn about the roots of the NY governor.
- Piano: The Making of a Steinway Concert Grand by New York Times reporter James Barron -- "Follow a single piano, No. K0862, on its yearlong journey through Steinway & Sons' New York City factory and on to the company's storied concert division, where instruments are earmarked for loans to artists and institutions."
- Toxic Emotions at Work and What You Can Do About Them by Peter E. Frost
- 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann -- an insight into what Native American life was like before Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492.
- Iacocca: An Autobiography -- No need to find the paperback from 1984; Lee's autobiography was recently re-published.
- Weird Ideas That Work: How to Build a Creative Company by Bob Sutton -- Here's what Jack had to say about Weird Ideas. You may also know Bob from his recent book The No Asshole Rule.
- Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky -- on life in France during WWII. The author died in Auschwitz before finishing the book.