Time to re-position?
January 29, 2007
Jack asked me to post this brief excerpt from Know-How: The 8 Skills That Separate People Who Perform from Those Who Don't by Ram Charan. Early-warning signals that the positioning of your business may need to take advantage of emerging opportunities: Nascent industries emerge. Nontraditional competitors start to appear.
Early-warning signals that the positioning of your business may need to take advantage of emerging opportunities:
- Nascent industries emerge.
- Nontraditional competitors start to appear.
- The positioning of a key competitor changes.
- The rise of new customers.
- Consumption patterns are being influenced by affordable new offerings from new technologies (think iPod).
- Customers are defecting.
- Loss of market share in select key segments.
- Emergence of new business models and new management models.
- Pressure on profit margins.
- Unexpected decline in cash flow from operations.
- Decline in customer satisfaction.