800-CEO-READ's 2016 Bestsellers
January 04, 2017
These are the books that 800-CEO-READ moved the most of, and moved often, in 2016.
Our founder and former president, Jack Covert, once wrote that “All ideas have a life cycle. They are born, live, and die, and new ideas are needed to replace them. The challenge of being creative is timeless.” Our late owner, A. David Schwartz, talked often about the soul of the book. The very first article in our constitution reflects both of those beliefs:
We believe in the book’s inherent value as a means of spreading information and culture, and we believe in the soul of the individual book—that once launched into the world, it can take on a life of its own and have a profound effect on business, our society, and culture. We believe in the book as a business model, on the publisher level, and as an individual, small business model for each author we work with.
There have been many complaints about 2016 as a year in general, but it certainly did not lack for excellent business books. We continue to see the genre grow and expand its horizons and areas of interest, embrace new ideas and challenge existing ones, while still giving readers the direct applicability and actionable insights the business community expects of what we call "business books." And, once again, we moved more of those books than ever before in 2016. The following twenty-five are those we moved the most of, most often.
These are 800-CEO-READ's Bestsellers of 2016.
- Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance by Angela Duckworth, Scribner
- #AskGaryVee: One Entrepreneur's Take on Leadership, Social Media, and Self-Awareness by Gary Vaynerchuk, Harper Business
- Originals: How Non-Conformists Move the World by Adam Grant, Viking
- Power of Broke: How Empty Pockets, a Tight Budget, and a Hunger for Success Can Become Your Greatest Competitive Advantage by Daymond John with Daniel Paisner, Crown Business
- Becoming the Best: Build a World-Class Organization Through Values-Based Leadership by Harry M. Kraemer, Jossey-Bass
- The Lucky Years: How to Thrive in the Brave New World of Health by David B. Agus, Simon & Schuster
- The Go-Giver: A Little Story about a Powerful Business Idea by Bob Burg & John David Mann, Portfolio
- Driven to Delight: Delivering World-Class Customer Experience the Mercedes-Benz Way by Joseph Michelle, McGraw-Hill
- The Confidence Effect: Every Woman's Guide to the Attitude That Attracts Success by Grace Killelea, AMACOM Books
- Above the Line: Lessons in Leadership and Life from a Championship Season by Urban Meyer, Penguin Press
- The Third Wave: An Entrepreneur's Vision of the Future by Steve Case, Simon & Schuster
- Connectography: Mapping the Future of Global Civilization by Parag Khanna, Random House
- Organize Tomorrow Today: 8 Ways to Retrain Your Mind to Optimize Performance at Work and in Life by Jason Selk & Tom Bartow, with Matthew Rudy, De Capo Lifelong Books
- O Great One!: A Little Story about the Awesome Power of Recognition by David Novak with Christa Bourg, Portfolio
- From Silk to Silicon: The Story of Globalization Through Ten Extraordinary Lives by Jeffrey E. Garten, Harper
- Presence: Bringing Your Boldest Self to Your Biggest Challenges by Amy Cuddy, Little, Brown and Company
- Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of Nike by Phil Knight, Scribner
- It’s Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy by D. Michael Abroshoff, Grand Central Publishing
- The Energy Bus: 10 Rules to Fuel Your Life, Work, and Team with Positive Energy by Jon Gordon, Wiley
- Communication the Cleveland Clinic Way: How to Drive a Relationship-Centered Strategy for Exceptional Patient Experience by Adrienne Boissy, MD & Timothy Gilligan, MD, McGraw-Hill
- The Universe Has Your Back: Transform Fear to Faith by Gabrielle Bernstein, Hay House
- Data Driven: How Performance Analytics Delivers Extraordinary Sales Results by Jenny Dearborn, Wiley
- The Sleep Revolution: Transforming Your Life, One Night at a Time by Arianna Huffington, Harmony,
- The Ideal Team Player: How to Recognize and Cultivate the Three Essential Virtues by Patrick M. Lencioni, Jossey-Bass
- Everybody Matters: The Extraordinary Power of Caring for Your People Like Family by Bob Chapman & Raj Sisodia, Portfolio, ISBN 9781591847793
As always, we owe so much (if not all) of our own success to the wonderful authors we work with, and all the individuals who go to work every day to edit, design, publish, and promote their books. We work in a marketplace of ideas, and we are endlessly excited at the possibilities and privilege of being a part of that marketplace.
You can keep up with the ongoing monthly bestseller list online.