In Pursuit of Elegance author Matthew May reads around 200 books a year. That means he's read approximately 2000 books since the year 2000. Of those, he has picked five that he feels defined the last decade, writing "these 'big idea' books stand out because not only did they help us better understand the world, they gave us a new lens through which to view it.
- The Lexus and the Olive Tree: Understanding Globalization by Thomas Friedman
- The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malclom Gladwell
- Free Agent Nation: The Future of Working for Yourself by Daniel Pink
- The Wisdom of Crowds: Why the Many Are Smarter Than the Few and How Collective Wisdom Shapes Business, Economies, Societies and Nations by James Surowiecki
- Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner